Wednesday, December 8, 2010

How to Create an Ad Hoc Protest Organization

Remember when folks used to march against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? That was before we elected Obama, he increased the troop count, and somehow the whole anti-war movement seemed to just fade away. Back in the protest days I created my own little anti-war organization on a whim before I went to an anti-war rally in San Francisco. I designed the logo, ironed a printout onto cloth, and sewed it onto the back of a shirt. During the march, various women of a certain age came up to me to ask how they could join CAW. I had to tell them CAW didn't really exist, it was just something I made up.





What does all of this mean? The yuppies were right: it's all about marketing and branding, something the antiwar movement could benefit from right about now. Come to think of it, so could Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails